Sunday, July 04, 2004

Spiders on the storm

Still sick... my new best friend, Mr. Kleenex box, is almost empty. Again. I look around and I realize I'm in an empty room, with only Mr. Kleenex, Pulgoso the Mighty and Puedquito (my powerful and omnipotent plush toys) as company. But then I see him. For some it can be only the hero of the hour. For others some stupid character that it just happens to be selling a lot nowadays. But there are others, like me, that see more. He is just as human as us, struggling everyday. Not everything seems so good in his life sometimes, but still, he fights for what he thinks is right. He fights to survive another day, and make a difference. Who am I talking about?

Spiderman

Yeah, that guy, Peter Parker, kid with powers trying to save the world from time to time. Ok I know what your're thinking. No, I'm not having allucinations. No, spiderman is not in the room with me...he left a couple of hours ago after we saved the wor...
ok I'll be quiet now.
What I see is one of my favorite comic books, ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN - power and responsability-, by Brian Michael Bendis. Now, you're asking, what the hell this guy and me have in common? Ok first of all...give me a break. I'm sick and my body is full of drugs and mango flavored candies. Second thing...well...I believe that he is very much like all of us.
(And by the way, for those of you who live in another planet and have absolutely no idea who spiderman is....STOP GOING TO BARS AND LIVE A LITTLE! - or you can go to www.marvel.com and educate yourselves :))

My point is that it is no coincidence that this guy has survived along the years in our culture, and that he is one of the greatest and most beloved comic book characters of all time. What is appealing about him is that he has problems just like the rest of us. His life is not perfect. He is not rich. He is misunderstood in some many ways. He has demons in his head, he has suffered, he questions his life, his actions, and wonders if he's doing the right thing.
On the other hand, he has dreams, he has loved. He has hope.
Now, if you have never felt that way, please, give me a call and tell me your secret.

Read spiderman comics...Ultimate Spiderman by Bendis, as I said before, is great.. Spectacular Spiderman, by Jenkins, with the spectacular art of Humberto Ramos, is also a great choice. Find the one that's right for you. Don't just settle for a movie or two(which, by the way, Spiderman 2 is GREAT). You will laugh, you will cry, and maybe, who knows, you'll understand a little bit more about your life, and realize once more, that we are never alone.

I'm gonna go now. Left my superhero costume in the washing machine.