Monday, July 26, 2004

The Father, the Son and the wealthy pagan that ruined everything

There is some people that believe that perfect days don't exist anymore. Well, in my on going search to reveal the secrets and misteries of the universe, I decided to prove them wrong. And what did I do? I ordered a pizza and I saw the STAR WARS saga. The REAL STAR WARS, and by this I mean Episode IV, V, and VI. No, I really try to erase from my memory the fact that Episode I and II exist. And that they suck. But I'll get to that later.

It's been I while since I last saw the classic Star Wars movies. When you get to know 90% percent of the dialogues and you tell them all along while the movie is playing, you realize you need to give it a rest.  Otherwise you'll end up going to work in your jedi outfit and talking to small non-existent furry animals... (that reminds me that Mighty Pulgoso - the owner of the universe posing as a plush dog here on earth- told me to bring him a milk shake...).
*sigh*
Anyway, I got prepared. I got my ham-bacon pizza, my lemonade and the show started. After all these years and all the times I've seen it, I still shiver when I see on the screen the words...those magic words...

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

Music starts...the STAR WARS logo appears on screen...and you feel home again.

I'm amazed by how this movies never cease to surprise me. Is great how the story is so neatly divided in three acts. The pacing, the climix and ending of each of the acts is simply perfect. I also love how the characters change along the three movies. I don't have to tell you what the movie is about. You have seen it. You SHOULD. YOU MUST. Really, I will destroy your puny souls with my laser beam if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Where was I? oh yeah, the characters. They grow. Luke Skywalker starts as an annoying kid and ends up being one  kicking ass Jedi Knight. He has the Force as ally. He has the coolest and most elegant weapon of all time. A lightsaber. WHOAAAA. The guy is one with the universe. Han Solo was a common smuggler and ends up as a hero, a leader, gets the princess, etc etc. Bad ass Darth Vader turns out to be a good papa. God, even C3PO ends up being a good story teller. Don't expect me to make a deep analisis about how everyone changes. It would take a while and I'm not really interested to act like Freud right now. The thing is that you learn to love this guys. Everyone of them.
Then you see the battles. X- wings, Y- wings, Star Destroyers, TIE fighters, the Millenium Falcon, AT-AT's, AT-ST's, speeders, all of the machines are absolutely perfect. Yes, I know sometimes they really look like models but it's impressive how some (or most) of the battles still look more impressive than many special effects nowadays. I don't know why that happens. Maybe models look more...organic? more real? who knows...The thing is, after a little more than 6 hours of my life, and a couple of tears of happiness coming out of my eyes, I found myself sitting in front of the tv, watching a blue screen and suddenly with the urge to scream this words out loud for the world to hear:

DAMN YOU LUCAS!!!!!

What the hell happened with this guy? Why he had to ruin everything? All that was pure and perfect in the classic Star Wars movies, he destroyed in Episode I and  II!!!! Ok I admit it. Classic Star Wars (As I'm are calling episodes IV, V, and VI) were not perfect. BUT, it made a lot of us look at the world in a very different way. It influenced us as we grew up by changing the things we believed in, the way we wanted to be. Hell, I still want to be a Jedi Knight! There are times when I still try to move things using the force. Or control weaker minds and make them do what I please... (actually that  has worked a couple of times...hehe) You know what I mean. These movies had deeper meaning. Maybe it was sort of a guide, I don't know. But they made a difference in our lives. Episode I and II are visually impressive.  We saw great battles like the one between Obi One, Darth Maul and Qui Gon, or the perfect shivering moments like when Yoda is taking out his lightsaber and fighting Dooku. This movies too have their moments. My deepest respect to those guys that created everything in CGI. But besides that and great lightsabers fights, there's nothing more. I felt empty. I want a good story, not just to see a visually entertaining movie. Damn I want again the spirituality.
I could go on talking about the things I don't like from Episodes I and II. How the characters feel less than human. How it makes me feel absolutely nothing.  But I'll wait. I guess deep inside of me, I still have a little hope that Lucas will see the light again, will use the force, and will give us what we need in Episode III. And having said this sometimes I wonder. Could it be that we are the ones who have changed? The one's that left their spirit die, long ago, and now have no capacity to feel? That we are so lost in routine, in work, in blaming ourselves and others for all our mistakes that we are beyond any cure?  Is it possible that we don't want to go deep inside of us and let the magic of SIMPLE things, of nature and everything that surrounds us, lead us? I wonder sometimes if we have taken the path towards the dark side. If we have lost our way.
Hell I hope not.

I guess I need to make a further investigation about the topic. I know! I'll order a couple of pizzas,  have an epic lightsabers battle  against my friend and Master, Zdex, ask Mighty Pulgoso for guidance and watch the classic  Star Wars saga again. And again. And again. And again...
And may the force be with us all. Always.