Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Alive, kicking and hungry

Friday, Monday and today, Tuesday, I've been practicing for our bimestral Tae Kwon Do Tournament. And surprise, surprise, who do you think is going to be on the exhibition? Well yeah! Us. The humble, tired teachers. Let's impress mortals. So, the song I can't get out of my mind, is the one we're using as we show our kicks and defenses and crazy moves to the world. But not Ms. Mysterious. No....She had to open her big, big mouth. She had to volunteer to be one of the idiots with a flag moving around, getting dizzy with all the turns and steps. Hooray for Ms. Mysterious. Who am I kidding? I'm having fun. :) Let's wait and see how it goes next Sunday. So the song (or piece of music) playing over and over on my mind:
Spectres in the fog, by Hans Zimmer, from the movie The Last Samurai. I LOVE that movie, even though I admit is like watching Dances with wolves Pt 2: The way of the sushi. So, sue me! I like oriental culture. I find it mystical, filled with honor, courage and equilibrium. Everything seems to make more sense. I love the way of the samurai. The way they dedicate their lives to service, (Samurai means, "to serve") the way they live with passion, the way they embrace life, yet they hope for a good death in the battlefield, dying for their beliefs.

Anyway, this is a powerful piece of music, filled with drum beats that call you to battle, making you feel invincible, ready to conquer anything, including yourself. Your fears and your weaknesses of mind and body.

What does it mean to be Samurai? To devote yourself utterly to a set of moral principles. To seek a stillness of your mind. And to master the way of the sword.
Call me old fashion, but I want to be a samurai. Hope I'm on the right path. Anyone wants to join me? The world would be a better place, I can assure you that. See ya! Ms. Mysterious is still hungry. She'll go to hunt something to eat.