Monday, December 27, 2004

Disasters and simple life

I just had a quiet and nice evening with my boyfriend, Mr. Marshmallow man. We saw a movie, we had some sandwiches and brownies to eat. A simple evening. And then it hit me. I'm lucky. As a matter of fact, if you're able to have a computer and take the time to browse through blogs (even stupid blogs like this one) YOU'RE lucky too. Because right now people is searching for their friends, their families through mud, water and debris. People are watching how everything they had just isn't there anymore. People are lying down on an hospital bed (if they're lucky) praying for their own health, hoping they'll make the night.
It's a hard, cruel world. And maybe right now we believe that we'll never suffer such devastation or loss. I really wish I could say we'll be alright. I wish everyone could live their lives without that kind of experience.
Right now, (according to BBC.com) at least 23,000 people were killed by the tsunami, and people in Indonesia, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Maldives, and Burma, are struggling to stay sane. To find a meaning. To understand why this happened to them.

So, what shall we do now? Maybe not all of us are meant to leave our things behind and volunteer to help in the countries that were affected. But I guess the least we can do is remember that somewhere, someone is not having such a good time. Let's not make this just one of those things that we heard one day and forget the next. I don't know, maybe put things in perspective.
And by putting in perspective things I mean that (at least in my case) even though I don't know what I'm doing half of the time (or by that means what am I supposed to with the rest of my life), I can be grateful to be alive. Grateful for my average happy, simple life.

G'nite sinners. Sleep tight.