Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I'd pay for that...

Well, after reading this week's Lying in the Gutters and then reading this post from Cognitive Dissonance, I must say that I would gladly pay for a service that would let me download comics on a monthly fee. But see, I'm weird... Because I would still end up going to the store and buying a couple of trades every month because I like the feel of the book. And I realize that this is an easy decision for me, as it would mean that I don't actually have to go to the store (which ain't easy to do, I tell ya) and would end up saving a lot of time and effort by downloading stuff. But man, I can't imagine all the great people that would suffer a lot because of this service. I guess that in the end, it'll be the same thing that's currently happening to the music stores, now that itunes is up and running. But still, there is a charm and an attractiveness to going to a good comic book store and seeing all those comic books aligned in all their four colour glory....

But, I must admit, that if at some point someone decided to make a monthly download service... I'd go for that.

Actually, I've always wondered why on earth DC doesn't put up comics that are important to current titles up on their website? Stuff like... Well Chase is showing up in Manhunter... Chase is very likely never going to be collected on a trade paperback, and yet, it's probably one of the best series that DC did in the 90's. So why not put it on their website? put some ads on it, and I'm sure people would download it, and you could at least make some profit out of it. Heck, if DC was smart, they'd coordinate with the JLU cartoon to have an issue of each superhero featured in this week's cartoon, because let's face Warlord? wha? Or in the first episode, Aztek showed up... I do happen to know who Aztek is, having read those issues at the time as well as his appearances on the JLA comic book, so why not put up an issue of Aztek on the website.

So there, I raise my hand for an iComics service.

But I would still go to my comic book store to get those nice trades...