Sunday, November 06, 2005

History 101 by Spielberg

I often wonder, what is the purpose of making movies? A good filmmaker wants to create, to tell a story, to express a feeling, to leave a message, and if you're lucky (and really good at it), to change people.

Spielberg is a god. Yes, some people think he has lost his touch. That he is more technical now and less passionate. Some people, including me, has compared some of his classic works such as Close encounters, Jaws, and Raiders of the lost ark with movies such as Amistad, A.I., War of the Worlds and ask what the hell happened to the guy. I'm not saying those are bad movies, but let's face it, they didn't have the MAGIC that makes Spielberg movies unique. When he makes a great movie he has the power to touch our hearts, to make us dream, cry, and hope.

So, after a couple of years without a classic spilbergesque movie, the master will be back with I'm sure it will become one of the best movies of the year: MUNICH

The story takes place after the massacre occurred at the 1972 Summer Olympics in Germany, when eleven Israeli athletes were held hostage and ultimately killed by the terrorist Palestinian organization Black September. Spielberg focuses on the team sent by the Israeli Government to kill all those responsible. The operation was known as Operation Wrath of God.

Watch the trailer. You will understand what I mean when I say it will be one of the best movies of the year. Why I say that Spielberg is back, delivering a story full of human emotions, a story that will make us feel again. Isn't it what being human is all about? Don't you hate being numb? Let us feel sadness and loneliness. Let us feel love and joy.
Yes, yes, I'm a crazy over sensitive, idealistic person... I'll go to bed now.