Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Back to the 80's

I've never been too convinced about this whole 70's and 80's revival. Most of the time we just have big budget, hot artists, but a terrible plot, and worst of all, sometimes they even destroy basic things that made you love the show. One of these cases is Mission: Impossible. Who the hell had the bright idea of making Jim Phelps the bad guy? *sigh* Anyway, the good thing is that the new teaser trailer for Mission: Impossible 3, rocks. Lots of explosions, car and boat chases, gizmos and fights. Plus Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the bad guy. The bastard really looks mean. Oh, and of course, we have Tom Cruise who's getting cuter and cuter as he gets older. Oh yeah, nothing like a sexy guy kickin' some butt. It seems this movie is not going to suck after all.

Then we have Miami Vice, directed by Michael Mann, (Collateral, Ali). When I heard that this movie was going to be made, I couldn't help but thinking of pink shirts and white suits, with two annoying and egocentric main characters that believe they're the reincarnation of Christ; but after watching the teaser trailer, I just realized that Mann is doing something completely different. The direction looks amazing, and the type of film Mann uses gives a whole new flavor to the film. At times, it looks more like a documentary than a movie, giving credibility to the movie and a more dramatic feeling to the story. So, yes. I got two nice surprises when I watched these two teasers. I know that they're far from being a work of art, but I'm sure that at least they'll be entertaining.