Sunday, March 13, 2005

Do Twixters love chocolate?

For the last couple of weeks I've had to take some courses about education methods in high schools, and I bumped into a discussion about TWIXTERS. First of all, what does it mean? (no, it has nothing to do with eating certain chocolates) Well, Twixters it's the name to the trend of twenty-something’s who refuse to grow up and decide what to do with their lives.

It's good to know that finally someone paid attention to my life.
Heh.

So, what's going on with us? Is it really wrong not wanting to get married or have kids in this precise moment? Is it really wrong not to be sure yet what you want to do for the rest of your life? Is it bad to try new things and keep on searching something that makes us feel alive?

Our parents and their parents before them used to settle at a very young age. But let's remember that their life expectancy was low. They had shorter lives, so maybe that's why they were in a hurry and had their lives solved by twenty six. Could this be an explanation of why our generations are so different?
I don't know, I'm just ranting. There was a time when I really was concerned because my life didn't seem to be going anywhere. Maybe it also affects living in a Mexican culture, where 80% of my childhood friends are already married and with kids, and have been working in the same place for ages.
I read an article that said that "Twixters have a special gift for friendships and their culture revolves around strong friendship groups" (http://ezinearticles.com/?Meet-The-Twixters!&id=12990)
So, yeah, I have my special group of friends that are like my family. Is that wrong? Does it means that I'm immature? I don't think so.
Something is true about all this. We all have different necessities. Each of us manage our time differently. So, hell, am I a twixter? I don't know for sure. Yes, I'm still not 100% sure of what to do with my life. No, I still don't want some responsabilites such as parenthood, but still, I'm not running away from adulthood. Just because I don't rush into some things, that makes me irresponsible with a Peter Pan complex.
There's a time and place for everything.
......
Just like now, it's time for an ice-cream cone.