Thursday, January 12, 2006

Ms. Mysterious excellent adventure

Yup, I have left Numbtown and now I face new and great dangers Down Under. My life, as I knew it, has ended. I cannot lie to you and say how happy I am to have left everything behind. I cannot lie to you and say that I've been having the best days of my life since I left. I cannot tell you that I haven't thought of getting an airplane ticket and fly back to Numbtown, my home. But I can tell you this: I'm trying. I'm trying to adjust, to see this as a great an excellent adventure. I can't give up. Not yet.

I've been wondering what makes people leave everything behind? I know there's the thrill for adventure, but let's face it, few of us are real adventurers. Is it the possibilities to have a better life? But what makes a better life? More money? Good transportation system? More museums? A nice downtown? More festivals and cultural events to fill your days?
What about the people? Yes, sometimes we say that we're dead tired of the same people and the same stupid conversations of our small little world, and perhaps that's what makes you seek for other places to live. Maybe in our silly little mind we believe that if we leave our home we'll find more interesting people, with deeper conversations, that will make our lives richer. Maybe it's true. I still don't know yet since I've been here only four days, but still, how can someone leave everyone he or she ever loved behind? How is a person supposed to survive leaving 10, 20 year old friendships? Is it possible to ever fill that void? Or do we just learn to cope with loneliness?

There are a lot of things to say. Lot of questions to ask. Lot of things to learn. One thing's sure though: It is HARD to start a new life. I still wonder why am I doing it. I hope someday I can answer myself that question.

Anyway, stick around. There's more of Ms. Mysterious yet to come.

Have a nice day, mates.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
(The Fellowship of the Ring)